About J. Michael Roddy
Since I was a child, I have found comfort in entertainment, where I could let my imagination run wild. Through outlets such as film, television, comic books, and theme parks, I devoured stories. I studied the art of story by first being a fan and then creating my own.
For the last twenty-five years, I have been involved in the theatrical and themed entertainment industries. Helping create world-class shows, marquee events and spectaculars has undoubtedly given me a well-rounded understanding of all aspects of story, production, budget, strategy, marketing, and expectation. For this reason, I feel confident that I can provide the insight, skills, and experience needed to fulfill any creative role successfully.
I have piloted a journey leading me to work for some of the top companies in the industry where I have contributed as a creative thinker, leader, mentor and collaborator in developing all creative aspects of stage shows, special events, nighttime spectaculars, resort activation, digital content, and grand openings. I productively guided teams of designers, performers, and operators, both internal and external while maintaining a creative vision and direction. I have collaborated closely with partners including LucasFilm, Marvel Studios, Disney's Animation Studios, Disney Channel, Lionsgate, Warner Brothers, and Pixar to create immersive branded and original entertainment experiences for millions of Guests. I was also instrumental in the development and execution of marketing-based marquee events including Halloween Horror Nights, Mardi Gras, Grinchmas, and Star Wars Galactic Nights.
I am always looking for new ways to develop and expand my vocabulary of immersive storytelling through keeping up with emerging technology, social media trends, and benchmarking entertainment around the world. I am passionate about leading teams and building relationships, and I genuinely believe that it takes a group of many talented individuals to bring to life any creative vision.
Please refer to my website for an in-depth look at my experience and creative vision. If you would like to know more about my career or request additional materials, please don't hesitate to ask.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
J. Michael Roddy
J. MICHAEL RODDY
12107 Windstone St. • Winter Garden, FL 34787
(407) 496-1196 • firstname.lastname@example.org • www.jmichaelroddy.com
“The more you do… the more you get to do!”
J. Michael Roddy is a highly-skilled entertainment Director and Writer with over twenty-five years of expertise in the entertainment industry. He is adept at taking a project from initial concept through production. His successes include the areas of Concept Development, Scripting, Event Design, Casting, Show Design (including Audio and Video Production), Show Direction, and Marketing of Entertainment properties.
WALT DISNEY PARKS LIVE ENTERTAINMENT
Creative Director/Senior Show Director/Show Writer 2012 –2018
· Provided creative development and implementation (including media direction) of Live Shows and Attractions including: Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy (Opening 2019), Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix Live! Star Wars: A Galaxy Far, Far Away, For the First Time in Forever – A Frozen Sing-A-Long, and American Music Machine.
· Creative Development and implementation (including media direction) on Spectaculars including: Star Wars – Symphony in the Stars, Star Wars - A Galactic Spectacular and Disney Movie Magic.
· Creative development and implementation of for Disney Cruise Line events including: Marvel Day at Sea, Star Wars Day at Sea, and Halloween on the High Seas.
· Creative Director for Star Wars: Season of the Force event at Disneyland Paris. Show elements included shows and a multi-media projection and fireworks spectacular.
· Creative development and implementation of Starbright Holidays at Disney Springs. Partnering with intel and designing the first-ever use of drone technology with creative storytelling.
· Partnered with Lucasfilm LTD to create multiple show offerings and displays as part of Star Wars Galactic Nights.
· Provided creative development and implementation of high-profile marketing events including: Rogue One – A Star Wars Story Premiere, and Monstrous Summer Announcement.
· Partnered with Walt Disney Imagineering for development and implementation (including media direction) of The Great Movie Ride - Hosted by Turner Classic Movies.
WALT DISNEY WORLD PARKS & RESORTS CREATIVE ENTERTAINMENT
Senior Show Writer/Show Director: 2010–2012
· Responsible for producing all creative treatments, concepts and scripts for WDW Creative Entertainment.
· Responsible for the management of all freelance writers for WDW Creative Entertainment.
· Creative partnering/collaboration with Creative Director and Show Directors.
· Provided creative development and implementation of high-profile marketing events including: New Fantasyland Grand Opening, and Limited Time Magic Announcement.
· Partnered with Pixar to create animation content for Monstrous Summer Announcement, including supervising video and audio editing sessions, and projection. The project won the 2013 EventTech Event Technology Award for Best Use of Projection Mapping.
· Partnered with Lucasfilm LTD to create multiple show offerings as part of Star Wars Weekends 2012-2014.
· Partnered with Disney Interactive to develop and script for upcoming Wii console game – Disney Princess: My Fairy Tale Adventure.
· Creative development for atmosphere entertainment for Fantasyland at Shanghai Disney.
THREE BARRELS PRODUCTIONS
· Produced, wrote and directed the award-winning documentary: Monsterkids: The Impact of Things That Go Bump in the Night. Awards include the 2017 Rondo Hattan Award for Best Documentary, the 2017 Central Florida Film Festival Award for Best Documentary, and the 2018 Silver Scream Festival for Best Documentary,
· Responsible for marketing, web content, budget, creative direction and structure.
DISNEY EVENT GROUP
Freelance Show Director/Show Writer 2009-2011
· Developed, scripted and directed several high-profile events for corporate clients including Dollar General, Marvel, Grainger, and Club Penguin.
· Developed, and directed unique entertainment including shows, character experiences and media for affluent clients through Disney Signature Dreams.
· Producer of the award-winning documentary: The Shark Is STILL Working: The Impact and Legacy of Jaws.
· Led creative direction, scripted, secured and coordinated interviews with key production and talent including Steven Spielberg, Roy Scheider, Richard Dreyfuss and many more.
· Responsible for marketing, web content, budget, creative direction and structure.
SEAWORLD PARKS & ENTERTAINMENT
Freelance Creative Director: 2009-2010
· Wrote and directed the marquee event show, Blood Relations for Busch Gardens Tampa Bay Howl-O-Scream in 2010.
· Played key role in musical guidance, casting and media production.
· Developed, scripted and directed the Animal Connections experience for Busch Gardens Tampa Bay.
Creative Director: 2007-2009
Responsible for the creative development and implementation of all entertainment show and guest-experience elements for Universal Orlando Resort, annual marquee events and projects. (i.e. Mardi Gras, Halloween Horror Nights, Grinchmas, New Year’s Eve, Attraction and Resort Hotel Grand Openings, etc.)
· Responsible for maintaining creative intent through all aspects of design and production, from original concept through final installation.
· Partnered with Directors of Design, Director of Production and Director of Talent Booking to provide new, innovative concepts for Universal Orlando Resort.
· Created entertainment concepts for The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, in collaboration with Warner Brothers and J.K. Rowling. Projects include The Frog Choir, Olivander’s Wand Shop, and the Beauxbatons and Durmstrang.
· Creative Director for Universal’s Halloween Horror Nights 2006-2009.
· Created and developed CityWalk’s Rising Star club offering at Universal Orlando Resort.
· Wrote and directed (including media direction) concert experience - Mannheim Steamroller Christmasville Live.
· Created, wrote, and directed new musical experience: How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Involved in casting and musical direction, partnering with Chip Davis and Mannheim Steamroller.
UNIVERSAL STUDIOS FLORIDA/UNIVERSAL ESCAPE
Show Director /Manager of Show Development: 2005-2007
· Primarily involved in concept development, scripting, casting, staging and maintenance of new and current Universal Orlando Resort entertainment offerings.
· Creative Development for Halloween Horror Nights: Ripped from The Silver Screen, including creative direction involving intellectual properties including The Rocky Horror Picture Show and SAW.
· Creative Development for Halloween Horror Nights: Carnival of Carnage, including creative direction involving New Line Cinema’s House of Horrors characters.
· Creative development of Halloween Horror Nights: Sweet Sixteen, including marketing opportunities, conceptual design and media content.
· Creative development of Universal 360: A Cinesphere Spectacular, including media development and overseeing video edit and partnering with various filmmakers including John Landis.
· Wrote and directed the new Beetlejuice’s Graveyard Review for Universal Orlando Resort. Winner of the Big E Best Show Award at IAAPA 2007.
JAWSFEST - MARTHA’S VINEYARD CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
Creative Consultant: 2005
· Development of 3-day event based on the 30th Anniversary of the film JAWS.
· Created marketing and advertising campaigns.
· Scripted and directed several entertainment events, working closely with Universal Home Video and celebrity talent.
· Event gained international publicity including appearances on all three major U.S. Networks.
Freelance Creative Consultant/Writer/Show Director: 2003-2005
· Concept Development for shows in various Anheuser-Busch parks.
· Writer/Show Director for Haunt Me Baby One More Time – Musical comedy show at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay Howl-O-Scream 2005.
· Writer/director for Nightscares show at Busch Gardens, Williamsburg Howl-O-Scream 2005.
· Writer/director for Depraved Reality – Musical comedy show at Busch Gardens, Tampa Bay Howl-O-Scream 2004.
· Writer/director for Eternal Reward show at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay Howl-O-Scream 2003.
· Created and developed the marketing icon for the 2003 Howl-O-Scream event at Busch Gardens, Tampa Bay.